Professional Pest Control Vs Do It Yourself (DIY) Pest Control
When pests raid your home, you immediately start thinking of ways to control them. Some people try DIY measures while others call in pest control professionals.
Do-it-yourself pest treatment refers to methods and techniques that individuals use to control or eliminate pests on their own, without the assistance of a professional pest control company. This may include using pesticides, traps, baits, or natural remedies to prevent, repel, or eliminate pests such as insects, rodents, or other animals from their homes or businesses. On the other hand, Professional pest control refers to the use of licensed and trained pest control technicians to identify, control, and eliminate pests in homes, businesses, and other structures. Professional pest control companies offer a range of services, including inspections, treatment, and ongoing maintenance to prevent future infestations. Professional pest control technicians use a variety of tools and techniques to identify and eliminate pests, such as applying pesticides, setting traps, and sealing entry points. For bedbug control, they may employ measures like heat treatment. They also provide advice on preventative measures, such as sealing cracks and crevices, removing sources of food and water, and maintaining a clean environment.
Factors to consider when choosing between DIY and Professional Pest Control
The decision to choose DIY or professional pest control will depend on factors like the specific pest problem, severity of infestation, health and safety concerns, time and resources, and environmental impact. Here are the factors that you should consider:
- Location: There are some places in Kenya which are so remote that it is difficult to get professional pest control. If you live in a place like Mandera or Lokichar, you are better off trying DIY pest control measures.
- Type of pest: Some pests are more difficult to control than others, and may require specialized tools or expertise. For example, a severe bedbug infestation may be challenging to treat with DIY methods, whereas a minor ant problem may be easily managed with DIY baits or sprays.
- Severity of infestation: A small pest problem may be manageable with DIY methods, but a severe infestation may require professional intervention. Professional pest control technicians have the training, equipment, and experience to address more complex and persistent infestations.
- Safety: Some pests, such as rodents and certain insects, can pose health risks to people and pets. DIY pest control may not always be safe or effective for controlling these pests, and may even exacerbate health risks. In these cases, it may be necessary to seek professional help.
- Time and resources: DIY pest control methods can be time-consuming and require a significant investment in materials and equipment. Professional pest control services may be more efficient and cost-effective in the long run, particularly for persistent or recurring pest problems.
- Environmental impact: Some DIY pest control methods may use chemicals or toxins that can be harmful to the environment. Professional pest control companies are typically trained in using eco-friendly and low-toxicity methods to minimize environmental impact.
Pros of DIY Pest control
Pros of DIY Pest control
- Cost-effective: DIY pest control methods can be less expensive than hiring a professional pest control company, particularly for minor pest problems like an ant infestation that can be easily treated with over-the-counter products. However, moderate and severe pest infestation should be handled by professionals. Some pests like bedbugs and cockroaches are also better handled by professionals.
- Convenience: DIY pest control allows individuals to address pest problems on their own schedule, without having to wait for a professional technician to arrive.
- Control: DIY pest control puts individuals in control of the pest control process, allowing them to choose the methods and products they feel are most effective and appropriate.
- Eco-Friendly: Some DIY pest control methods can be eco-friendly and low-toxicity, reducing the environmental impact of pest control.
Cons of DIY Pest Control
- Limited effectiveness: DIY pest control methods may not always be effective, particularly for severe or persistent pest problems. Over-the-counter products may not be strong enough to eliminate the entire pest population, and may only provide temporary relief. At Agile Pest Control, we normally get calls from clients who reveal to us that they have tried several products and methods to control the pests themselves but have failed. Pests like bedbugs and cockroaches are particularly notorious for pesticide resistance. The German cockroach has developed resistance to many pesticides available in Kenya.
- Lack of expertise: DIY pest control requires a certain level of expertise and knowledge to be effective. Individuals may not have the necessary training or experience to properly identify the pest problem, choose the appropriate treatment method, and apply the products correctly. This can lead to ineffective pest control and may even make the problem worse.
- Safety risks: Some DIY pest control methods can be unsafe if not used properly. Over-the-counter products may contain harsh chemicals that can be harmful to humans and pets if not handled correctly. Additionally, some pests, such as bees or wasps, can be dangerous to handle without the proper equipment and training.
- Time-consuming: DIY pest control can be time-consuming, particularly for larger or more complex pest problems. Individuals may need to invest a significant amount of time and effort to properly address the problem, which can be a challenge for busy individuals.
- Risk of spreading pests: Improper use of DIY pest control methods can lead to the unintentional spread of pests to other areas of the home or property. For example, using a vacuum to remove bed bugs may cause them to spread to other rooms or areas of the home.
Cons of professional Pest Control
The biggest apparent disadvantage of professional pest control is the cost. Professional pest control can sometimes cost more that KES 50,000. However, in the long-run you may discover that DIY measures can also be quite costly also because of significant amounts of time and resources required to effectively control the pests.
Pros of professional Pest Control
- Expertise: Professional pest control technicians are trained and certified to identify pest problems, determine the best treatment methods, and apply products safely and effectively. They have the knowledge and experience to handle even the most complex or severe pest problems.
- Tailored solutions: Professional pest control services offer customized solutions to address the specific pest problem and unique needs of each customer. They can identify the underlying causes of the infestation and provide long-term solutions to prevent future problems. For instance, at Agile Pest Control, the pest experts normally conduct a detailed survey of the client’s home before designing and implementing custom solutions to the pest problem.
- Safe and effective: Professional pest control services use high-quality products and equipment that are safe and effective for eliminating pests. They follow strict safety protocols to ensure that products are applied correctly and that customers and their families are not at risk of exposure to harmful chemicals.
- Time-saving: Professional pest control services can save time for busy individuals by handling all aspects of the pest control process, from inspection and treatment to follow-up and prevention. This allows individuals to focus on other tasks and activities while the pest problem is being addressed.
- Guaranteed results: Professional pest control services typically offer guarantees for their services, ensuring that the pest problem will be fully addressed and that customers will be satisfied with the results.
So, which one wins between DIY and Professional pest control?
Even though the initial cost of DIY pest control may seem low, the final cost can be significantly high. This can be made worse by several failed attempts to control pests using the DIY approaches. Professional Pest control is more effective because of the expertise and the advanced products used. If you can afford it, you are better of choosing professional pest control. Professionals exterminate pests at a much higher degree of success.
At Agile Pest, we have over 15 years of experience and expertise at exterminating pests in Kenya. We provide the best pest control and fumigation services in the country. If you’re looking to learn more about the benefits of professional pest control services, call us on 0726473074. Contact us for professional pest control services in Kenya. We are one of the the best pest control companies in Kenya.